Last week, I had the honor of giving a lecture in my church about the riches of Law and grace.
What was the occasion? The presentation of my new book 'De Dubbele Schat' (The Double Treasure).
I stated that true freedom is only possible when we live within God's commands; for freedom without rules is anarchy. It is, at the core, slavery to the spirit of this age (zeitgeist).
Deliverance from slavery
God's commands make it possible for us to live in freedom and actually enjoy it. Think about this: When did God give the Law to the people of Israƫl? Yes... after He delivered them from slavery.
They received the rules when they were free!
That is exactly why the psalmist wrote: "I will walk in freedom, for I have devoted myself to your commandments" (Psalm 119:45).
Freedom and commandments... mentioned in one sentence. I wonder if that resonates with believers today.
A huge need for love
Jesus said: When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love (John 15:10).
So, what is the command Jesus gave us? This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you (John 15:12).
How hard could that be, we wonder. And yet, when we look around in our world today... we cannot but notice that there is a huge need to love and to be loved.
⚫ ⚫ ⚫
Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirements of God’s law. For the commandments say, “You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not covet.” These—and other such commandments—are summed up in this one commandment: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to others, so love fulfills the requirements of God’s law.
[Romans 13:8-10]
➤You might enjoy my blog series The Ten Core Values.

Comments
Post a Comment