Do you have a place of safety?

Have you ever been on a long hike in bad weather, when you suddenly came upon a shelter?

Oh, the relief of seeing a so-called 'refugio' where it is warm and dry inside. A place to eat, rest, and regain strength. 

Sometimes a refugio is nothing more than just a tiny cabin that provides shelter from the wind and cold. Sometimes a refugio is a communal place with a small kitchen and even a few beds.

A place to hide

Whatever the case, it is a place to hide from the elements, to rest from the journey, and to renew energy and motivation for the continuation. I've been in such places in the Himalayas, Alps, Rockies, and Andes.

Because I have experienced the relief of finding shelter from rainstorms, cold weather, and strong winds, I understand why God is often depicted as our refuge in the Bible, especially in the psalms.

For example, in Psalm 9:9, The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And in Psalm 59:16, But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For you have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress.

Place of safety

God is our place of safety, our refuge, when the storms are raging all around us. It is such a great metaphor. Taking shelter (or seeking refuge) basically means that you gotta have a place of safety you can run to. It can be your kitchen table, your deck chair, or your backyard. As long as you can go there and talk with Him. 

Do you have a place of safety? Have you found your 'refugio' in Him?

⚫ ⚫ ⚫

My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
[Psalm 62:7]

Comments